Thursday, 10 March 2011

Dodgy photos


Here is the finished secondary opaque underpainting in raw umber. I have taken care to allow some of the warm burnt umber ground to show in the darker mid-tones and shadows. I usually paint this stage a few tones darker than it should be as I have found that subsequent lighter opaques sit more pleasingly.  Once I have underpainted the drapery, I will begin making decisions about colour. I feel that it is important to have a solid tonal base before applying colour. Separating the challenges  of tone and colour makes things simpler.


I have also resolved the wash underpainting of this piece. I have used burnt umber Alkyd paint for its quick drying properties. I will begin the opaque underpainting in burnt umber and titanium white artist quality oils.

On Fire

Lisle

No comments:

 
Tweets by @dylanlisleart