Tuesday, 30 July 2013

getting closer by getting further away


I have completed most of the opaque underpainting of the flesh; the face is still a drawing...NO paint at all. I don't usually do this, but as it was intended to be a painting/portrait hybrid of sorts I thought it best to leave time to concentrate solely on the head later in the process.
I intend to set aside a longer period of time where I can fully focus on a flattering likeness (this is not to suggest that the sitter "needs a bit of work Hahahaha" .The dramatic Chiaroscuro lighting can be very unforgiving (especially with women) due to it's tendency to enhance lines and creases and as a result can add a few years. I will use the other reference material from the same session.

The background has been discussed with the client and all my fantastic and complicated ideas were rejected. I was putting too much thought into it.
The client suggested we keep it simple and have a lighter area behind the figure and darken the edges. A technique more popularly used in photography called "vignetting" where the corners and edges are darker. I have used this technique before in smaller paintings to create an antique effect. Why couldn't I see this solution?

This is one of the reasons I love commission work and view it as collaboration. The client can often see solutions to compositional issues that the artist cannot. It's very easy to get too wrapped up in overcomplicating things and over-egg the pudding.

There is still a a lot of repainting, velatura, glazing and general tweaking to be done but hopefully this should be completed by the end of the week.
XD&L



No comments:

 
Tweets by @dylanlisleart